The other day I hit gold card status on my Starbucks app. I immediately felt shame because I liked to pride myself on the fact that I was too cheap to go there enough to get anywhere near gold. Over the last few months things have changed and I’ve been heading to Starbucks to get work done, meet with co-workers, etc. Now I hang my head in shame and confess that I’m now gold card status at Starbucks.
On a brighter note, that lead to some funny realizations about freelancing that I wanted to share.
You know you’re a freelancer when…
- You end up at Starbucks half a dozen (a dozen? more?) times a month to get work done/get out of the house/get out or your pajamas/collaborate with other freelancers/interact with human beings.
- One month you’re making way more than you planned and the next you’re trying to figure out which is more important: groceries or gas.
- You’re constantly trying to convince people you don’t just sit at home in your pajamas all day watching Real Housewives reruns on Bravo.
- Sometimes you sit at home in your pajamas all day watching Real Hosuewives reruns on Bravo. Or Teen Mom. Or Rich Kids of Beverly Hills.
- Tax season is twice as terrible because not only are you doing taxes, you usually get to send a check instead of getting a refund.
- You wear yoga pants/sweat pants to work almost everyday (ok, everyday. oh, just me?)
- The only thing that makes you happier than a landing a big project is when a client pays an invoice on time.
- Paid vacation? Paid sick time? HA! No one cares if you’re in the Bahamas or stuck in bed. You don’t work, you don’t get paid.
- Sometimes you think about getting a regular job with regular hours, job stability and a bi-monthly paycheck.
- You wonder what you were thinking when you considered getting a “regular job” because freelance life, while challenging, pretty awesome.
Bonus: You like to pretend Friday’s are exciting like everyone else, but you know you’ll at least check your email over the weekend.
Happy Friday! Turn off your phones and enjoy a few days off whether you’re a freelancer or not!