I’ve mentioned it before, I don’t really like breakfast. The past few days I’ve had caprese sandwiches for breakfast. My husband, on the other hand, loves breakfast. Waffles, eggs, pancakes, you name it, he loves it. Biscuits and gravy is one of his favorites when we’re out at restaurants and though he does his best to avoid meat, he does give in once in a while. I decided to give biscuits and gravy a try using fake breakfast sausage. It took a few times to tweak the recipe, but I’ve come up with my go-to recipe for Vegetarian Gravy! We have this a few times a month and Blaine is always super excited when he sees that I’ve made it. I have to admit, I was never intrigued by biscuits and gravy, but I love it too now!
P.S. I guess the title of this recipe is a lie because I don’t teach you how to make biscuits, just the gravy FOR biscuits & gravy. For biscuits? We use the easy refrigerated kind from the grocery store most of the time.
Vegetarian Gravy Recipe
Time: 10-15 minutesServings: enough to top 4 biscuits
- 2 frozen morningstar sausage patties OR 1/2 package lightlife (refrigerated) sausage
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cups milk (we use almond milk)
- salt & pepper to taste
Note: this recipe doesn’t include biscuits so just use your own recipe or use refrigerated biscuit dough from the store. I usually throw them in the oven first and they’re ready right before the gravy is. Perfect timing!
1. If using frozen sausage patties: microwave until warm, but not too hot. Break apart and add to heated and oiled pan. If using lightlife sausage, cook according to instructions on back.
2. Once the “meat” is heated, sprinkle in the flour and wisk everything together to combine
3. When the flour has been mixed in, slowly add the milk and wisk everything together to help break up the flour
4. Add pepper and simmer lightly, stirring occasionally until desired thickness is achieved.
Let me know if you try this recipe, I’d love to hear if you like it.